Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Happy Birthday Audra!

I can't believe that my baby is 2 years old! I am so glad she is here, especially since she gave us such trouble at the beginning....

When I was 9 weeks prego with her I went in for my first check up and the doctor was unable to find a heart beat, or an embryo. The doctor said that I had most likely had an early miscarriage. She sent me to do some lab work and within a week called to let me know that I was not pregnant. I was pretty sad, but still somehow felt that I was really pregnant. The doctor had me come in for a D&C and prescribed some medication for the procedure that I was to take before I came in. I didn't feel right about taking it or having the procedure done. When I went in and I told her how I felt, she sympathized with me, but reassured me that they had done all the tests and there simply was no baby. I begged her to do one more ultra sound before the D&C, and when she did...there WAS a baby after all!

At 24 weeks I went into early labor. A little bed rest and my cervix closed back up! We were so thankful. The only bummer was that she never moved back up. So, for the next 14 weeks she stayed in the birth canal. OUCH! At 34 weeks I went into labor again, and I was so excited to think that she was coming...but the doctor stopped labor and reassured me that we didn't want her to come yet! Anyway, she was finally born on May 3, 2007 at 8:00 pm.

The doctor promised me that I could come into have her on that day (I was dilated to a 3 and 50% effaced...she said she would just break my water). That morning the doctor called to let me know that there was no room in the inn. Elizabeth Postak was with me and convinced me to go in anyway. I drove myself to the hospital (Trevor worked near it) and told them that I was in labor...but it wasn't really true. I know you can't really fool the nurses once you are all hooked up, but I figured that if they just checked me, I would be far enough along and they would keep me. So, I got hooked up and I was dilated to 5 cm and 75% effaced. I love how my body has a semi-silent labor. At 7 pm I received an epidural, had my water broken and then watched the NBA playoffs with Trevor. At 7:50 I felt some pressure, so I asked to be checked. I was ready to go. The nurse had me hold off until the doctor came in. Three pushes later, Adura Jane Cardon was born. She was slightly bigger than my other girls, weighing in at 7 lbs 1 oz (Haylie and Katie were both 6 lbs 9 oz).

She's been a sweet and easy baby! We love her. Happy birthday, Audra Jane!

Opening presents at Grandma's house. She is happy to have a baby of her own!

We had a great celebration at the Mission Viejo Lake with the Walkers (who's little baby Andrew was also turning 2), Grandma and Grandpa, Uncle Blake and the Flakes (apparently I didn't have the camera out when they came...sorry guys!)

Audra and Andrew with presents and cake.




The next day we enjoyed Mother's Day with my Mom. Here we are at dinner.
Yummy Cafe Rio Salad. Mmmmm.....



8 comments:

Huhtala Family said...

Oh, the sweet memories :) I can't believe I didn't even get an honorable mention for all my support through this pregnancy! Whatever, see if I ever do a blog post purely about you again just because you said I had to....

P.S. Your moms hair looks really pretty :)

Jan Moran said...

Thanks Joalea! I don't look very happy about Mother's Day, do I? (I was happy in real life). Just remembering your visit last year. Wasn't it around now?
Come back anytime. The pink skirt is long gone, so it should be a better time :)
And Kimmie,
Love the post in honor of the littlest dollie wollie.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kimmie! What a crazy birth/delivery story! Thank goodness you listened to your instincts (aka THE SPIRIT!). When I first got pregnant with my twins the doc could see two sacs but could only see one baby and hear one heartbeat, so he said we had an "invisible twin" that would never be viable. Next appt - two tiny babies in sacs but one much smaller than the other and only one strong heartbeat. Lo and behold - I've got two perfectly healthy twin boys. Doctors schmoctors is what I say! lol HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Katie said...

I wish I had been there for the b-day party! Audra looks so cute and so old!I can't believe how big your girls are!

Jason & Claire said...

Happy birthday to her. I can't believe it's been two years since you had her! I don't know why but that top picture is exactly what I picture you looking like when you were little. I thought it was an old picture of you at first. ;) Glad her birthday was so great.

Jeff and Kandis said...

I love the picture with Audra all dressed up and nowhere to go. HEr and Michael are two peas in a pod with that one.
As for our house here we are just the opposite with bug catching, fishing, and superheroes running around. Maybe Trevor and I should switch it up for a week and get one with our gender again.
haha

Missy said...

What a crazy pregnancy Kimmie! I am just dying at the entire story. SO glad she came - she is just the cutest little blonde girl I've ever seen.

Nate said...

Hey Kimmie!
That is Such an amazing story about audra. I think you have had a number of amazing stories in your little family's past.
Call me next time you are in the area. I'd love to see ya and your cute girls!