Saturday, December 11, 2010

Totaled

Last night was a pretty typical Friday night at the Cardon house until about 8 pm. We usually have pizza and then watch a movie together. The kids were worn out last night, so I decided to feed them dinner earlier than usual and start the movie earlier - before Trevor got home from work.

At about 7:20 he texted me letting me know that he was on his way home. The girls and I were already snuggled down, eating popcorn and watching The Year Without A Santa Clause. I looked at my phone at 7:45, and figured that since Trevor hadn't shown up yet (his commute is only 10 minutes) he must have gotten stuck at the building - a usual occurrence.

At 7:50 my phone rang. I saw that it was him, and when I answered the phone he sounded sorry....the usual tone when he gets stuck at the building. Then he said that he had been in a car accident and needed me to come get him. As I repeated what I was hearing and started to ask questions, all three of the little girls burst into tears! He said that he was ok, but that we needed to drive on the highway until it was shut down. From there, follow the ambulances, fire trucks and police cars. Quickly, we changed out of our pajamas, said a prayer thanking Heavenly Father that Daddy was protected, and rushed out the door.

We got there as everything was being cleaned up. The man who caused the accident had a cut on his arm, and had already been hauled off to jail for not having any documentation (he was illegal), no licence, no car registration and no insurance. Luckily, a police officer had witnessed the entire accident - from the time the man swerved (and stopped) in Trevor's lane to the point when Trevor's car finally stopped spinning and hitting the center divide.

Trevor walked away with cuts, bruises and 3 major goose eggs - one where he broke the windshield. We are so thankful that he is ok.

Today we went and said our final good-byes to our little Camry and took some pictures. The Camry has served us well for 7 years and 173,000 miles (totallying 250,000 miles on the car).


This was my favorite part! Who has an "Emergency Preparedness Policy and Procedure Manual" in their car (nursing home administrators do!)?!?! I envisioned him grabbing it as soon as he stopped spinning. "What to do after the accident?"














Upon examination of the car, Audra told Trevor the he needs to be much more careful. Then the whole way home when she spotted cars on the highway she yelled, "Watch out Dad! There's a car!"


9 comments:

Emily said...

Wow. Thank goodness he was OK. That car is a mess. Sounds like he was watched out for.

Kate said...

Oh wow, Kimmie! I am SO glad to hear that your husband will be okay after this horrible accident. Your car looks awful... I can't imagine what was going through your mind when you got the call from him..

The Duckers said...

Holy SMOKES!!! I'm so glad Trevor is okay! It's such a comfort to know that he was protected and looked over during a very scary moment in his life. Amazing what living the right way and having the spirit in your life can do for you huh!?!?

goodbye sweet car! ;o)

Greg and Diana said...

Wow, glad your husband made it out with only minor injuries!! Sorry about your car though, it's always sad when you have to say goodbye to one, no matter how long you've had it!! Now you can get a larger car to fit another seat =)

Anona said...

Whoa that is scary!!! I'm so glad he is okay!! That is so funny what Audra said! Love you!

Huhtala Family said...

"All 3 girls burst into tears..." Poor little loves :( So glad he's OK!

Else said...

So I heard about Trevor's accident today because this past Friday, my husband was in one. He slid in the rain, and flipped the car. It landed back on it's tires and all he walked away with was a tiny boo boo on his elbow, a sore shoulder from the seat belt and a totaled SUV. I'm so glad we had so many angels watching both of our husbands!

Postak Family said...

Oh my goodness! So thankful he's ok.

Mike and Shelby said...

Good thing he was able to walk away. (Although, a nice Honda Pilot for his birthday isn't a bad trade-off for the accident, eh?) Glad all is well now. And congrats on the pregnancy!